When this parameter is
on, the PostgreSQL server compresses a full page image written to WAL when full_page_writes is on or during a base backup. A compressed page image will be decompressed during WAL replay. The default value is
off. Only superusers can change this setting.
Turning this parameter on can reduce the WAL volume without increasing the risk of unrecoverable data corruption, but at the cost of some extra CPU spent on the compression during WAL logging and on the decompression during WAL replay.
- Re: Re: [HACKERS] Proposal: generic WAL compression
- Re: [HACKERS][PATCH] Applying PMDK to WAL operations for persistent memory
- Re: Changing WAL Header to reduce contention during ReserveXLogInsertLocation()
- Re: Bug in gin insert redo code path during re-compression of empty gin data leaf pages
- Re: [HACKERS] AdvanceXLInsertBuffer vs. WAL segment compressibility